Home // The History of Blue Summit // District History and Overview

District History and Overview

The Inter City Fire Protection District is Jackson County’s oldest fire protection district with origins back to the early 20th century. Originally the District encompassed many square miles between the cities of Independence and Kansas City-hence the name “inter city”.

Today the remaining unincorporated area is commonly referred to as Blue Summit, although the earliest organization of a “town” in the late 1800’s was named Pittsburg.

  • Click here for more Blue Summit history.

Although many early historical documents have been lost, the Inter-City Fire Department was registered for 10 years with the Missouri Secretary of State’s Office in 1938 (click here to see the incorporation documents). Sometime between 1938 and 1947, the Inter-City Fire Department was replaced by Fire District No. 1 of Jackson County, Missouri; however, on September 12, 1947, the Circuit Court ordered the District’s name changed to the present day Inter City Fire Protection District (click here to see the Court’s order).

Due to city annexations over the years, all that remains of the District is a less than 1 square mile generally bordered on the east side of Blue Ridge Boulevard by Independence and by Kansas City on the north side of 23rd Street Trafficway, east side of Interstate 435, and south side of 8th Street. Click on the links to see a map of the District or a list of streets within the District.

The District operates 2 first-out engine companies supported by one service company and contracts with American Medical Response (AMR) to provide ambulance service to the area. However, the District still provides first response with a basic life support rescue squad. Both engine companies are also equipped for basic life support.

Through out the years the District’s firefighting capabilities have been evaluated by the Insurance Services Office (ISO) as a part of ISO’s Public Protection Classification (PPC) program, where ISO assigns a number from 1 to 10. Class 1 represents exemplary fire protection, and Class 10 indicates an area’s fire-suppression program does not meet ISO’s minimum criteria. Many insurance companies then use ISO’s Class number to determine insurance premiums. Based on a November 2008 audit, ISO determined the District to be a Class 4 effective June 1, 2009. The District is pursuing a Class 3 with another audit in the near future.

Over the years, many people have served as Fire Chief and as Directors on the Board:

  • Click here for a historical list of Fire Chiefs
  • Click here for a historical list of the Directors

The District continues to be staffed with firefighters that are volunteers-in fact, the District is Jackson County’s last all-volunteer firefighting department. The District has a part-time paid Fire Chief
and District Manager. The District’s Treasurer and Secretary are also paid.