- The Inter City Fire Protection District must be contacted each day before starting to burn.
Headquarters Phone Number: (816) 461-9090; Dispatch Phone Number: (816) 461-2728 Fax: (816) 461-4611
- All open burning will take place during the time 3 hours after sunrise and 3 hours before sunset or from 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM, whichever is greater. You shall be responsible for preventing smoldering fires after the burning hours.
- Only vegetative waste originating from the applicants property, may be burned at a minimum of 200 yards from the nearest inhabited dwelling ( except your own).
- All vegetation waste suitable for fireplace wood, posts, saw logs or other uses shall be removed prior to the burning.
- Should a smoke problem arise from the burning, you must correct the problem immediately.
- The permission to burn in no way relieves you of your obligation to comply with any local, county, state or federal rule or regulations.
- Should the stipulations of this permit be violated, the Inter City Fire Protection District and or the Missouri Air Pollution Control Program, reserves the right to revoke this permit to burn at anytime.
- To apply for an extension, the original permit must be resubmitted.
- Open burning is prohibited on RED, ORANGE, and YELLOW ALERT air pollution
days in Jackson County, from April through September. Applicants can call (913) 383-7557
to determine alert status.
Click Here for a printable Open Burning Application
Commercial Occupancy Permit
No one in the District may engage in any business without first obtaining an Occupancy Permit, paying a $5.00 Occupancy Permit fee (no charge for not-for profit businesses), and registering the business with the District.
Click Here to view the Occupancy Permit Ordinance
Click Here for a printable Occupancy Permit Application
All new commercial and residential construction and most repair work requires a building permit. If you are not sure whether you need a building permit, contact Jackson County Public Works.
For building permit applications, contact Jackson County Public Works
Jackson County Public Works
303 West Walnut
Independence MO 64050
The area is currently under the following Building Codes.
- 2003 International Building Code
- 2003 International Residential Code
- 2003 International Fire Code
- 2003 Uniform Mechanical Code
- 2003 Uniform Plumbing Code
- 2005 National Electrical Code